South Africa faces major unemployment challenges among its youth. Cipla South Africa’s Graduate Program is a strategic talent initiative which provides work experience for graduates and helps to source fresh talent for the business. This is a two year-program. We recruit annually based on our business needs.
About the program
Initiated in 2015, the Cipla Graduate Skills Program (GSP) are strategic talent initiatives designed to source and develop young talent for the future of Cipla. The program aims to widen opportunities for people from diverse backgrounds.
In so doing, the program provides appropriate and relevant work experience that aligns with the graduates qualifications and identified talents. Graduates are recruited annually and successful graduates complete an intensive two-year competency-based graduate program.
- 2-year Fixed Term Contract (FTC) program
- Competitive, monthly stipend
- ‘Rotation’ method – i.e. Graduates are rotated between business and must be prepared to relocate more than once within 24-months
- Continuous development; performance reviews; and coaching
- 9-month Level 4 Project Management Learnership (compulsory)
- Permanent employment NOT guaranteed however after the 1st year, may apply for permanent Cipla vacancies
Highly motivated, excellence-focused graduates and students, who are willing and able to fail and learn fast; who will innovate, collaborate and create the Cipla of tomorrow, today. We’re looking for the change-makers, the insatiably curious, the socially intelligent, the culturally aware, the most resilient, most agile, the digital natives… the game-changers.
Graduates between the ages of 21 – 28 who are willing to be mobile i.e., prepared to move to any of our 3 South Africa (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) sites more than once, during the 2-year graduate program
Fields of Study suitable for the Graduate Program
When recruiting talent, the program considers CIPLA’s current and future succession plans, and the scarce skills needed to grow the organisation:
- Computer and Information Sciences
- Economic Management Sciences
- Finance & Accounting, Business studies
- Graphic Design
- Health Sciences
- Human Sciences, Industrial Psychology, Human Resources
- Manufacturing – Logistics; Demand Planning
- Production; warehousing
- Natural Sciences
- Social Sciences – Digital Marketing and Communications
- Supply Chain I Project Management
- Make sure you follow all instructions exactly, incomplete and / or late applications are automatically disqualified.
- Ensure all required documents are included & in PDF format with descriptive names i.e. Boni_Ntuli ID.
- Include a single-page CV (pdf) and a photo of yourself. Make sure your CV includes all your contact details and an alternative contact numbers/emails.
- Remember you applied to Cipla and know as much as possible about us. (During the CV screening process, we randomly conduct spontaneous 3-minute telephonic interviews. One of the questions we ask, is what you know about Cipla).
- Answer calls from an ‘unknown number’ professionally, it could be us!
- South African identity document (born in SA age between 21 – 28)
- Completed qualification with average of 70% in final year of study (completed studying in 2019/2020/2021)
- Willing to relocate (more than once) to CT, DBN, JHB within the 2-year program
- Less than one-years permanent employment working experience
- Fully conversant (reading and writing) in English
Frequently Asked Questions
I’m struggling to upload my documents using the Cipla on-line job application system.
If all else fails, try upload them in the ‘reference’ field of the online application form OR include them as part of your CV attachment (all in one pdf) and re-upload your CV.
I don’t have my most recent transcripts.
Include your mid-year transcripts in the interim and forward your recent transcript as soon as you have it.
The institute won’t release my results as I have outstanding student fees.
Request institute to write a letter on their letterhead confirming your qualification; that you completed your studies and your student number and name reflect on their letter.
If I don’t meet the academic criteria in my first year – will I still be eligible?
Provided you achieved an average of 70% in your final year of studies, your previous years of studies results are not reviewed.
Will I get a copy of the online psychometric assessment results?
You receive an abridged online version directly from the vendor on completion & submission. If appointed as a graduate, you receive a one-on-one coaching feedback session
Who pays for my flights to CT and accommodation costs?
Cipla covers (where relevant) flights from major cities to CT, including transport and accommodation during the 30-day induction. During induction graduates are expected to source and arrange accommodation at their expense in the city (CT or DBN or JHB) they will be located after induction.
Do the graduates receive a salary whilst on the program?
Successfully appointed graduates receive a competitive and liveable monthly stipend. Medical aid and provident fund benefits are optional (not compulsory).
Do I have to be Health Science graduate to apply?
Provided you have a qualification listed in our Fields of Study section, and achieved 70% average in your most recent year of study, you can apply.
Do you take Honours, Masters or PhD students?
Yes provided you have a qualification which matches those listed in our Fields of Study section.
What type of work will I be doing?
We aim to place grads in business units which provides experience related to their field of study. Graduates are also given opportunities to enhance their experience within and outside of their fields of study too, to give a holistic working experience.
Why is the program two years?
The pharmaceutical industry is a complex environment, 12 months is just not enough time to provide a graduate with significant exposure; hence the program was extended to 2 years.
In what provinces are the program based? Where am I likely to be placed?
We have 4 sites based in Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg, depending on your qualifications and the business need, you will be placed in one of our four facilities. Sometimes you may move more than once during the two years.
Am I guaranteed a job after?
The graduate program is an end-to-end 2-year duration with no guarantee of permanent employment; however, in the second-year graduates are encouraged to apply for the permanent vacancies advertised within Cipla.
Why a one-month induction program?
A 30-day induction provides sufficient time and opportunity to develop a ‘basket’ of foundational competencies needed to ensure the graduate is equipped with the necessary competencies to ‘hit the ground running’.
When does the program start?
Usually, the 3rd or 4th month of the year
How many graduates to you take in each year?
Between 10 and 20
What is the organisational culture?
High performance culture – people and productivity focused.
What can I do to improve my chances of being successful?
Prepare, prepare, prepare! Research, network, follow and meet all the criteria exactly. Be open-minded and demonstrate an agile attitude. Be your authentic self.
How will I be contacted if I’m successful?
By email or telephone – although we are usually so excited to tell you that we call you right away.
Why have I not heard back from Cipla about my application?
We receive high volumes of applications and while we strive to make sure that we pay attention to you as the candidate, it is not always possible or our response may be delayed. If you do not hear back from us, your application was likely unsuccessful. Opportunities always arise and we urge you to please stay in contact with us.